[RC5] Golomb stuff

Ryan Anderson ryan at michonline.com
Wed Mar 4 09:03:11 EST 1998

On Tue, 3 Mar 1998, Joe Zbiciak wrote:

> Are there any mathemeticians out there cringing yet at my possibly
> horribly fractured explanation?  (Go easy on me, I'm only a simple
> engineer.  ;-)  I'm almost certain there's another whole level of
> detail that I'm missing....  (such as geometric properties of triangles
> whose bases are formed by segments on a Golomb ruler that allow such
> rulers to perform distance and measurement *perpendicular to the ruler*
> or similar, or am I grasping at straws here?  :-)

Actualy, I think you've done a remarkably good job of explaining this.

And with your brief discussion of triangles, you've basically explained
how to use this system to measure distances *away* from theruler.

Pircutre a point off the line

                     B               C

Now points B and C will form a triangle with A, and we'll have two angles
and a side, which is enough to fully describe the triangle (using the law
of sin and the law of Cos)  so we can then find the distance AC, or BC, or
the distance from A to BC.

Ryan Anderson - Alpha Geek
PGP fp: 7E 8E C6 54 96 AC D9 57  E4 F8 AE 9C 10 7E 78 C9

"With this word of power, I cast thy soul into the void: void(soul)"

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net