[RC5] Golomb stuff/Void souls

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Thu Mar 5 09:31:01 EST 1998

     Standard C only has typecasts of the form
     (<type>)<expression>

     Standard C++ has three kinds of casts:
        C-style casts (deprecated, but supported)
        Operator-member-style casts (also called "functional notation)
           These follow the syntax for creating a casting operator member
           function:
           class Foo { ... operator int() {...} ... };
        New-style casts
           I don't know anything about these except that they are very
           verbose.

     Thus, the following casts are valic in C++:
     (void)soul
     void(soul)

     It has been argued (successfully, I think) that the latter is more
     readable in complex expressions and the former is fine in simple
     expressions.