[RC5] Disappearing blocks...

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Thu Mar 5 09:30:57 EST 1998

On Wed, 04 Mar 1998 22:02:24 -0500, Charles Petras wrote:

>Re. WIN 32 GUI Client v. 2.7013.396
>
>Recently I've experienced some bad weather which caused power fluctuations
>(ie, interrupted for a few minutes, up for a few minutes, etc.). Hence the
>system was up and down a few times.
>
>Later when I had the opportunity to see how things were running, I noticed
>that 5 RC5 blocks had disappeared.  Typically I retrive 10 at a time, but
>only 5 were in evidence.
>
>So, I suppose my question in regard to this feature is, is this a desirable
>state of affairs?  Shouldn't there be a check to make sure that any given
>block has been processed into the out-buffer before it's deleted from the
>in-buffer?

The "loss" of blocks like this is irrelevant, frankly.  There are two things you can do to prevent this from occuring:

1.  Buy a UPS.  They're ~$100, and will save you a LOT of hassle during power outages.

2.  Enable checkpointing; you'll have to manually edit the .ini file to do this, but it'll save work on blocks you're working on
.  Check the documentation for more information.

I'd recommend getting the UPS, frankly.  As any computer nerd will tell you, having constant power is a good thing. :)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net