[RC5] Block size, fetch/flush frequency and database workload

Hannu Nyman HNYMAN at tuta.hut.fi
Fri Mar 6 15:31:17 EST 1998

Since it seems to take so long to update the statistics database for
the RC5-64 contest, it seems to me that we have too many
transactions. Having so many transactions decreases our efficiency.

I see two factors causing this:
1) People are processing (too) small blocks, which increases the
amount of block transfers.
2) People are updating their buffers too frequently. (in order to
advance in statistics?)

The workload of both the keyservers and statistics database would
decrease if there were less transactions. So, should we have a
recommendation about using larger block sizes? Like "use a block
size that checks a block in about 2-3 hours". (Or use even longer
taking blocks.)

Using the default buffer size (10 blocks) with "2 hour blocks" would
produce one update per day (which would just perfect for maintaining
the position in stats ;-).

Hannu Nyman
--
Hannu Nyman