[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #164

Brice D. Fleckenstein ciga at surf-ici.com
Sat Mar 7 21:19:05 EST 1998

> Using the default buffer size (10 blocks) with "2 hour blocks"

 I have exactly 2 machines out of about a DOZEN that accept any RC5
block size other than "28". Those two machines happen to be two of my
SLOWER RC5 machines.
 All of my K5 machines are running the DOS client under WFWg 3.11 - on
as small as 40 Meg HDs. My testing on MY machines shows that particular
client to be faster than any of the alternatives overall, and I can't
INSTALL the alternatives on some of those machines due to lack of drive
space.

 As it happens, the K5-166 would crank through noticeably more than 10
2^31 blocks in a day anyway - it eats a 2^28 block in a little less than
12 minutes....

 I DO have the personal proxy set to update every 50 blocks, and *have*
been thinking about kicking THAT up to 100 or more.

 What *I* am really waiting for is a WORKING Win 3.11 client - the
current 2.6003 RC5-only client HANGS every machine I've tried it on,
usually within the first couple blocks, unless I set the "clock ticks"
so LOW on it that it produces a LOT lower keyrate than the DOS client on
the SAME machine. When I'm lucky the Win16 client will run for a day
before it hangs....

--

 Reply-to has been de-spammed. Real email address below.

 Brice D. Fleckenstein
 EMail: bricef at indy dot net
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net