[RC5] What If?

Jeff Hinrichs jlh at home.com
Tue Mar 10 15:00:33 EST 1998

Has anyone thought about the scenario where we find the RC5-64 key early?
Much earlier than anyone expected.

What / Where would we go then?  If no other v2 type projects are around and
with v3 still vaporous, the demise envisioned as a justification for rc5-64
could still happen.  Perhaps a small portion of the brain trust should be
split off to create another busy work project just to be safe.  I would
suggest a project type that is less prone to ending at some unknown time
would be better.  Prime factorization and such.

Everyone responding to the thread about rc5"-56 is going to take 50 years"
is talking about a better case scenario than what would happen if we found
the key tomorrow.

Please don't take this as me saying that we need v3 now (personally, I like
the idea of v3 so much that I can be patient for Duncan to do what needs to
be done.) , we just need another project on deck if the worst case scenario
happens.

You may scoff, but this scenario has as much possibility as any other.

Jeff
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net