[RC5] Possible V3 addition.

Mark Salyer marks at foothills.net
Wed Mar 11 11:20:36 EST 1998

I was wondering what other people thought about a couple of ideas that I had
concearning the rc5 contests.  Some people have had some concearns lately
about getting their bosses approval on running the Distributed.net clients.
One of the ideas that I had, that would really help me and the company I
work for out tremendously, would be to add some "time correcting" code to
the current clients.  Allow the proxies to send out a current time when
blocks are distributed, and then let the clients change the time of the
computers when they retrieve new blocks.  This would only be done when
fetching/flushing is going on, so it should not slow down the clients that
much..  This way, we as sysadmins are getting extra value out of the clients
that the company (I know at least mine) can use as well.

Sometimes when a company decides to allow software like this to run, they
want to know what benefit that they are getting and this could be something
that we can use.  I am not trying to find a way to *hide* the clients behind
and excuse, just give the clients more value to companies..

The second thought, and this may be seperate from the proxies, is to add
some sort of *management* console so sysadmins can not only tell how many
blocks are being done, but whether machines are up or not..  This way we can
see the network from a glance, and can tell how long since a machine has
responded.  If it has been too long, then a manual *ping * type function
could be run to check out the machine.. Now were this may tie back into the
clients and/or proxy, is some sort of round trip time that can be
displayed..

I know these things may have been discussed in the past, but being somewhat
new to this, I have not seen them mentioned in serveral months.  Remember,
these are just ideas and if they are unfeasable, then just pay not attention
to me :)

Marks
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net