[RC5] Possible V3 addition.

dan carter motion at es.co.nz
Fri Mar 13 19:17:24 EST 1998

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998 10:54:19 -0500, Mark Salyer wrote:

>I administer systems that could use their time correct..  There are not alot
>of *free* utilities out there that do this, and when you are a non-profit
>yourself, you can't afford $10 per machine by 2000 machines to just set the
>time..
No need to run that util on all machines

>>Having the d.n clients do "something else that might be considered
>>constructive" might be a decent idea, but not this specific one.
>
>I would not think you could find something as quick to do that would be
>somewhat useful.  Remember, though it may be free for Unix, It is not
>necessarily the same for Win/Macs.

OK, this specific feature is probably not a good idea.

1) Most of the big corporates run NetWare servers. When win95 or OS/2 clients (maybe more) attach to that server their time gets synched.

2) In a non-Netware enviroment your probably running IBM/MS File and Print sharing (the NETBUEI protocol). With win95 or OS/2 (maybe more) clients, all you need is one
machine with the correct time. You could even buy one shareware program to maintain the time on that one machine (though id recommend the fine free small OS/2 program
that i use to do it). On the client you run at startup or in the login script "NET TIME \\INSOMNIAC /set /yes" where insomniac is the name of a machine with the correct time.

rgds
dan
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net