[RC5] My impatient cohorts

That Funky Chick bertha at mhn.org
Fri Mar 13 15:01:58 EST 1998

On Mon, 9 Mar 1998 21:31:38 -0700, you wrote:

>  For those of us that understand that utilizing free processor time on our
>work, home machines is not bad, Huzah! For the rest of us in this list and
>in this challenge, I dare you to leave your machines on all night. Start
>off with just once a week. After that start making it a habit to leave your
>work machine on all night. Get back into it. We are familly by belief and
>dedication. I will not stand idly by and watch my bretheren quit because
>some of the more vocal participants say we are getting nowhere.

Actually, I was leaving my computer on all the time...and discovered a problem
with Win95 (evidently I was the only person in the world unaware of it), where
the OS will gradually become more and more flakey the longer you leave it on.

The Linux machine runs continuously, but the DES stuff would occasionally
hang.  The machine is where I do test configurations for MTAs, so it might not
have been DES causing the problems...

-Bertha
bertha at polly.mhn.org

Fight Spam on the Internet!  http://spam.abuse.net/spam//