[RC5] What If?

Ed Wensell III aka THE StormRaiser EWENSELL at pstcc.cc.tn.us
Fri Mar 13 08:08:08 EST 1998

=> This is the quickest way to kill support for d.net. Why should I have to pay
=> to give something. If this was ever implemented I'd switch over my PII-333
=> to some other free project. Imagine the sys-admin trying to justify buying
=> 10,000 blocks. Who would pay him? the company? and if he did buy the blocks

<= SNIP =>

=> >>> There wouldn't be a monetary prize in this contest,
=> >>
=> >>Sure there could be. Let all perspective 'players' buy
=> >>in. Say, US$1 per CPU, or per MIP or something. It would
=> >>not exactly be a lottery, but you could theoretically

<= SNIP =>

Hi...

To start with, I'm new to the project. I've been reading a few of the messages
coming across and all the info and think this thing is great. So far I have my
own little wolfpack of machines working (two Intels, an Alpha, and one very
pokey Mac). Not much, but it's a start (wish a client for Hewlett Packard
printes with JetDirect cards was possible. How many HP4's or 5's do you have
sitting idle in your office?)..

Anyway, be very careful with this "give donations for blocks to possibly win a
prize", Most states WILL see this as a lottery no matter what you call the
money you pay (donations, grants, etc). Case in point, I live in Knoxville
TN (fairly stringent on gambling). At one time, the local Boys and Girls Club
would hold an annual duck race to raise money.

The idea was you would "sponsor" X number of rubber ducks with a $5 donation per
duck. Several weeks later, ALL of the rubber ducks sponsored would then be
dumped into the Tennessee River and would "race" to a specified finish line.
The "sponsors" of the winning ducks would be eligible for prizes that had been
donated to the event (cars, personal watercraft, money, etc). It made quite a
bit of money for the Boys and Girls club, but last year the state of Tennessee
deemed the race a lottery, and illegal.

Depending on what state the servers are in, using a "donations for blocks"
system could get sticky...

PS - On an unrelated note.. Has anyone every heard of the Intel NT/95 client
working better on an Alpha NT than the Alpha NT client does???

Until soon...
Ed Wensell III
Ability to answer a question with "I don't know" is a sign of true knowledge.
Systems and Operations Support, Pellissippi State
http://www.pstcc.cc.tn.us/departments/sos
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net