[RC5] A new life for RC5

Martin Stoufer mstoufer at nersc.gov
Fri Mar 13 12:13:23 EST 1998

My friend and I had this plausible idea over hot-wings last night. Needless to say he is a d.net feind as well.

TO make a long story short, I'll just describe the idea and get into detail later in the thread.

In order to rejuvenate the interest in RC5, we need to make it look sexier. I know that there has been a lot of talk about different sexy projects for us. But in this case we can use one already up and running.

The idea is this. If we can get everyone to chip in $1 to a fund managed by d.net's fiscal arm (if any???) we can amass a large amount of booty to give to whomever cracks the block. On top of the $1000 promised by RSA, we can tack on at least another $20000 from all of our donations.

With just this, the common computer user may or may not be interested. As we are all aware of, marketing drives consumer spending habits. Therefore, we need someone to sit down and redesign the front end of the GUI clients. With what you ask? Here is the kicker that will push Bovine into the mainstream.

When the client is first run, the user is asked for an email, or other contact ###. On top of that, a secret password is generated that the user will use if and when they find the correct key. Now, the GUI should be some nice Valut door with a few tumblers whirling  back and forth trying all the combinations. There must be the "Oh whats that..." factor in this. The user will probably not be interested in the stats, all the want is thier chance to crack the scheme and win!

Of course we can keep the NT services and SUN/Solaris clients as is, but for the W95 and Mac clients, we will push the glitz and make the user feel like they have a chance in this lottery. Yes, lottery. Everyone who wants to run the client has a choice to pay in the $1 or not. Those who do have a chance at +20,000 and those that don't must settle for a measly $1000.

On top of this we need some new rollout press release from D.net announcing their new Internet lottery. Then, all of the stalwart RC5 list readers can deluge their local news agencies and get some exposure. Imagine Tom Brokaw or CNN doing a 30sec bit on the effort with an URL? Besides the website getting blasted, our usership could explode within a few days.

This can work. All the bugs are worked out, we need to now market our idea.

The underlying motivation for this approach is that all the other computer users out there could care less what the application is doing. All they care about is their "free" chance at big bucks. I know this is preying on people's greed. But the means seems to justify the ends.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net