[RC5] Windows and resetting clocks

Jeremy Blackman loki at maison-otaku.net
Fri Mar 13 12:52:21 EST 1998

On Thu, 12 Mar 1998, Marc Sissom wrote:

> I'm sure that if you have to maintain 2K boxes a discounted license
> could be arranged. If you do a proper analysis, your superiors(the
> ones in charge of the money) presumably would be convinced that it is
> in their best interests to purchase such software. Write up a report.
> Show them how much trouble it causes when the clocks are off. Show
> them how much time you spend fixing said troubles. Show them that it
> costs _more_ to not have the software than it costs to purchase it,
> and I'm sure they will buy. Else, they should be canned.
>
> If your analysis shows instead that it would not be worthwhile to
> purchase clock sync. software, then you should be convinced that
> you were in error.

I've been watching this thread, and finally thought I'd point something
out.

Windows machines can query (and set) the time from each other.

On a Windows machine, from the command line, type 'net time /?'

For example on our local network, I can do:

net time \\public /set /yes

And my machine is reset to the value of the clock on \\public

What we do here at work is we purchased -one- of the NTP clients, and run
it on \\public.  Then, everyone's Windows network login has a login script
associated with it that has the line I listed above in it.

Hence, every time anyone logs into a machine here at work, the clock is
synchronized with \\public, which has been synchronized with a Naval
clock...

I understand the principle of wanting to make the d.net clients do
something 'useful' (proving encryption isn't secure isn't 'useful'?), but
this particular task seems like you could do it easily enough without the
extra effort. :)
----
FORTH IF HONK THEN
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net