[RC5] What If?

Roby Van Hoye roby.vanhoye at ficsgrp.com
Mon Mar 16 15:03:03 EST 1998

At 10:31 12/03/98 -0700, you wrote:
>This is the quickest way to kill support for d.net. Why should I have to pay
>to give something. If this was ever implemented I'd switch over my PII-333
>to some other free project. Imagine the sys-admin trying to justify buying

Great, money for a $$$$$$ PII333 is no issue but 1$ for the lottory is too
much ?? :-)

>10,000 blocks. Who would pay him? the company? and if he did buy the blocks
>who gets the dough? Never mind the pain in the ass it is to send in the
>money, and have fulltime d.net employees managing the whole thing. And how
>do the clients get their blocks? Email? FTP? How do you assign a range? You
>have the problem of one guy asking for 5000 28bit blocks, and the next 100
>31bit blocks. You have holes in the key space that have to be taken into
>account. It would be a nightmare paying for blocks. Never mind, that how
>many would accually pay?

Your latest point is the only one that makes sense to me, but indeed, it is
a hard one. I didn't say D.net has to switch over to this project entirely,
just have a play with it on a side track, it would bring in money for d.net
(if they'd know a way to easily gather some bucks from everyone all over
the world (I don't know how, but maybe there is a way). And as I guess
everyone will try only some $s everyone would spend only some days at it,
after that switching back to the 'free' contests... (which, off course,
never stopped working...)

Cu
Roby