[RC5] A new life for RC5

Jeff Woods jwoods at delta.com
Mon Mar 16 09:41:27 EST 1998

At 12:13 PM 3/13/98 -0800, you wrote:

> they have a chance in this lottery. Yes, lottery. Everyone who wants to
> run the client has a choice to pay in the $1 or not. Those who do have a
> chance at +20,000 and those that don't must settle for a measly $1000.

Two tacks on this:

*I* like it.  Most users here will not.  The vastmajority are here for very
altruistic reasons -- not for the money, other than to donate to charity.

I don't think you stand enough of a chance to convince the d.net organizers
or enough people to do it.  But I'd like to see it done nevertheless.

My suggestion would be to try to organize this separately from d.net's
organizers... Don't ask Nugget to take this on on top of the rest...I fyou
like the idea, GREAT!  Collect the money.  Convince people to trust YOU to
hold the money, and then hand out the prize when the time comes.  Avoid the
word LOTTERY -- gambling across internet connections is generally
considered to be illegal.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net