[RC5] Stats?

Lord Somnolent sleepy at os.com
Mon Mar 16 17:59:05 EST 1998

Drew Schatt wrote:

> Hi there-
>         I was meandering along in the stats until recently, when I finally
> got all of the machines here at work to start running the client.  I've now
> moved up 1500 places in the individual stats, and am still gaining...
> (Woohoo!).  Anyhow, My question is this:  Why is it that people who are
> below me in the stats (yet have been participating for the same number of
> days) have overall averages that are higher than mine? One would think that
> the overall rates would be the total number of keys, divided by the total
> time, right? For instance, look at the followin two listings:
> Email Rank      Email           Blocks  Time            Last Block      Rate
> 2630    schatt at jobtrak.com      27643   144 days        15-Mar  596.42
> 2633    grege at acsworld.net      27619   144 days        12-Mar  608.58
>
> Since we've both been participating the same amount of time, shouldn't the
> Rates be in order of ranking?  Or am I missing something simple?

The more general explanation is that the rate is the average rate
throughout the contest, it is possible to beat someone with a higher
average rate than you simply because you had a good day or they had a
bad day. But in this case, its because grege at acsworld.net didn't submit
blocks since March 12; it still counts a day worked even if the user
submitted no blocks on that day, presuming that they are working but
have the blocks queued someplace.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net