[RC5] What if?

Marc Sissom marcus at dfwmm.net
Mon Mar 16 17:38:01 EST 1998

Paul Deneyer wrote:

> >Marc Sissom wrote:
> >
> >>Nobody said that you had to participate in the "self-funded-contest".
> >>Call it a raffle if you will. Remember that the primary purpose is
> >>to raise money. If you don't want to pay-and-play, you can run one
> >>of the other clients
> >
> >This idea will sure increase the number of users.  If we use you logic,
> >given a choice between playing the lotto for free or buying a ticket, more
> >people are going to pay for a ticket.
>
> You really think so? I believe we would loose a vast amount of
> participants
> with such a strategie.
> I don't play lotto, and if I would have to pay for the blocks, then you
> count me out.

All right, I've let this go on too long as is.

Can't anybody read? Here's the first paragraph, with important points
highlighted:

> >>Nobody said that you had to participate in the "self-funded-contest".
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >>Call it a raffle if you will. Remember that the primary purpose is
> >>to raise money. If you don't want to pay-and-play, you can run one
> >>of the other clients
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

OK? Does that relieve your fears? If I need to say it another way...
_Anybody_ can participate in _any_ open challenge, contest, or
distributed
computing project!

The purpose of the v3 'communications-plus' protocol is to allow or
facilitate the proliferation of distributed computing projects. That
means that there will very likely be more than one going on at the
same time. You can run your project. D.n can run theirs. I can run
mine. If you don't like _my_ project, you are free to choose another,
or even better, start your own.

D.n wants to become a sort of clearing house or home base for a
variety of projects. You go to their web page to find links to
projects. There will be some proposed, some planned, some working,
some completed.

There are already a few others running, and if you don't really like
cracking codes, you are free to try them out. That is something I'd
really recommend to alpha users since the alpha proc is not so hot
when it comes to rc5, yet it can spit fire while running some of
these other 'idle-time' projects. Since there is no time pressure on
rc5, use your boxes in the fashion that is most efficient. When des3
comes around, pile back on the wagon a few days before it starts to
make sure you have the latest client software, make sure everything
is working OK, then crack away until it's over.

With any luck, v3(at least a beta) will be out and running projects
by then, and this mailing list will trickle down to just rc5 subjects
rather than generic d.n subjects.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net