[RC5] Disappearing blocks - again :(

Justin Cave jocave at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 16 19:55:22 EST 1998

At 10:09 PM 3/16/98 +0100, Tomasz Glowacki wrote

|  I'm a bit new on that list so i have to ask you one question.
| What will happen if block "disapear" ? It will be reasigned , marked as
| unchecked or what else ?
|
| I'm doing my rc5 in school , and there are no internet connection
for a now
| (new school,just built). So I have to send blocks from home.
Sometimes kids
| turning off computers and blocks are disapearing. Even with
checkpoint files
| set.

If a block isn't returned, it will be reassigned after all the blocks
in the current 56-bit keyspace are assigned.  Thus, there's no need
to worry about lost blocks, except for the lost work (if you lose a
60% completed block, the second person it is assigned to will have to
recheck that 60%).

Justin Cave                        290 Massachusetts Ave
jocave at mit.edu                     Cambridge, MA 02139
http://mental-pygmie.mit.edu       (617) 225-9132
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net