[RC5] PII-233 - real power ????

Sean Matheis seanm at mail.mcafee.com
Mon Mar 16 17:22:21 EST 1998

At 19:57 16 Mar 98, Justin, through the Pancreator's Grace, said:

> Date:          Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:57:25 -0500
> To:            rc5 at llamas.net
> From:          Justin Cave <jocave at MIT.EDU>
> Subject:       Re: [RC5] PII-233 - real power ????

> At 10:10 PM 3/16/98 +0100, Tomasz Glowacki wrote
> | Hi !
> |
> |  I just have started doing rc5-64 on PII-233 and Win95GUI client.
> I have
> | found something weird.  When client is doing blocks at the start it
> shows
> | about 650k keys/s .  It is quite ok.  But after some time it slows
> | gradually on each block to about 300k keys/s.  Why ?  It could
> screen saver
> | taking so much CPU time ?
> |
> If a scree saver comes on and does anything, it will take lots of CPU
> time away from RC5.  If possible you could replace your active
> screensaver with a blank screen.

Agreed.  Screen Savers, or Power Saving on the computer
will greatly reduce your systems ability to process the keys.
My P200MMX has been cranking happily at 280Kkeys/sec
for the past week or so; I just turn off the monitor and let
it run.

On a similar note:  How great should the difference be between
OS versions on the same CPU?  I'm running the linux client on
a PPro 200, and getting about 550Kkey/sec.  Will the NT client
or Win95 clients perform at the same level?  (The linux box
sits at about load avg. 1.10)

-Sean

Sean Matheis (seanm<AT>mcafee.com)

"This could be Britain's finest hour: Battle of Waterpooh"
-Headline from the British tabloid "The Express"

"RC5-64, because 1984 is a more ominous number
than 2^64."  http://www.distributed.net/rc64
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net