[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #169

Brice D. Fleckenstein ciga at surf-ici.com
Sun Mar 15 22:42:37 EST 1998

> > Open a dos prompt.  Type:  FDISK /MBR <Enter>
> > Then re-boot.
>

> I appreciate the help but I hope you won't mind if I ask what this will do
> before I do it.

 It rewrites the Master Boot Record, for any DOS based machine
(including Win95 machines) with the "standard" information that should
be there.

 Seems to be mostly intended for use when changing a hard drive from
non-DOS OSs to DOS/Win95, but also works as an anti-viral on a few boot
sector viruses, or when removing Disk Manager and other such programs.

--

 Reply-to has been de-spammed. Real email address below.

 Brice D. Fleckenstein
 EMail: bricef at indy dot net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net