[RC5] Tear attack vulnerability

lunaslide lunaslyd at pacbell.net
Mon Mar 16 23:16:04 EST 1998

At 06:43 PM 3/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 07:44:49 -0600 (CST), Joe Zbiciak wrote:
>
>>'Roy Wilson' said previously:
>>| 	The IBM stack is solid.  ATM machines use it, so it's been looked
>>| at inside out and upside down for security holes.
>>
>>I've seen some of these ATMs, although the way I identified them was that
>>they were crashed out to a command prompt.  *doh*  I assume the problem
>>was a hardware problem and not a software one.
>
>Yeah, almost all ATM's run OS/2 of some form or another.  The insides
>of ATM's are pretty neat.  What looks like a regular mobo with some
>ribbon cables going to the cash dispenser.  Never seen one crashed,
>though I have seen one rebooting (done on purpose)...

On the other hand, the kiosks at my school that dispense info and grades
have been fucntional *once* out of the dozen times I've been to them.  They
are running Windows 95 in some form, by the look of the buttons and
windows.  They must communicate with an IBM mainframe housing the grades on
campus.

lunaslide           *        PGP key->pgpkeys.mit.edu port 11371
I want more life, fucker.   *          *     *          *      *
           *            -Roy Batty, Bladerunner   *         *
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net