[RC5] RE: OFF TOPIC: Virii

Paul Ross paul at pilat.com
Tue Mar 17 10:02:21 EST 1998

This is completly irrelevant. You want to take that gamble? Or you want to try
something safer, and more likely to correct the problem?

Most virii experts will quote the command you just threw at the world as FDISK
/mumble, so those who know what you're talking about know what to do, and those
who don't know can't screw anything up. It's a very nasty command to be playing
with.

And nearly every one of those same experts will tell you FDISK /mumble is
unecessary. You can get shareware versions of most of the top packages for
private home use from the internet.

IMO, Dr Solomon's is one of the best on the market.
http://www.drsolomon.co.uk/download/findvirus.cfm
But in the interests of diversity, you may want to try F-PROT:
http://www.datafellows.com/gallery/

I think there's a couple more out downloadables there, McAfee springs to mind
but I can't find it.

Moral to everyone: Do NOT use FDISK /MBR unless you are COMPLETELY sure of what
you are doing, and how to fix any cockups it may cause. If you suspect virus
activitity, use an antivirus package.

Now, this topic is irrelevant to this list: can we please end it, and stop
spamming everyone.  I welcome any private enquiries/flames, however.

Rossy

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net