The Lottery Debate (was: [RC5] Lotteries are a bad idea.)

Chris Eaton tridus at inforamp.net
Tue Mar 17 09:31:28 EST 1998

Enough! Please do not bomb the list with messages saying you don't like the
lottery! I don't really like it either, but this is getting rediculous.

I'll tell you what, if we want to find out what people treuly think of the
lottery idea, lets take a poll. All we would have to do is get one person for
everybody to email their opinions to, and that person could tally up the
votes.
I'm willing to do it, I love that kind of stuff... :)

But what would the question look like, maybe something like this:

1. "Do you think it is a good idea for Distributed.Net to ask for
contributions
from its users in order to have a larger prize for the eveuntal winner of
Rc5-64?"

2. "If such contributions were required to participate, would you participate
in Rc5-64?"

3. "If such contributions were optional, but required to have a chance at
winning the larger prize, would you pay a contribution of $1 US?" ($1.41
Canadian, 128 Yen, you get the idea..),

4. "Do you think that a larger prize for the winner would boost membership in
Distributed.Net contests?"

Well folks, how about it? Does anyone like the idea of doing a poll like this
(so only my inbox gets flooded with messages instead of everyones.. :) )? If
people like the idea, then lets do it before the list turns into a propaganda
war for/against a lottery.

--
"In the end, I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is
the one in which we throw away the map. In jettisoning the grinds and

- Loreena McKennitt: The Book Of Secrets

Chris

http://home.inforamp.net/~tridus
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net