[RC5] PII-233 - real power ????

Sean Matheis seanm at mail.mcafee.com
Tue Mar 17 10:28:31 EST 1998

At 18:11 17 Mar 98, Paul, through the Pancreator's Grace, said:

> If Sean were to leave his screen saver active and turn the monitor off, he'd
> suffer the performance loss anyway. What (I hope!) he, and everyone else is

Yup.  Just disabled the screen saver.  Works wonders now :)

> Modern monitors don't suffer from screen burn anymore. I just leave mine on all
> night :)

I _try_ to save power whenever possible.  Lower power bills makes
me a happier person :)

Linux-ish question: Is any version of linux "better" (ie. faster)
for running rc5?  I've got a p-90 sitting around w/ win95 on
it, doing nothing.  In my never-ending quest for learning more and
more about unix, I'm debating throwing linux on it as well.
Since this machine will do nothing but sit and churn numbers,
I might as well optimize it as much as I can.
(send opinions to me if you want to spare the list from IMHOs...)

Thanks,
Sean

Sean Matheis (seanm<AT>mcafee.com)

"This could be Britain's finest hour: Battle of Waterpooh"
-Headline from the British tabloid "The Express"

"RC5-64, because 1984 is a more ominous number
than 2^64."  http://www.distributed.net/rc64
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net