[RC5] PII-233 - real power ????

Ed Wensell III aka THE StormRaiser EWENSELL at pstcc.cc.tn.us
Tue Mar 17 13:35:00 EST 1998

=> The monitor isn't the issue at all here - what people are saying is to
=> /replace/ the screen saver with the monitor on/off button.

=> If Sean were to leave his screen saver active and turn the monitor off, he'd
=> suffer the performance loss anyway. What (I hope!) he, and everyone else is
=> doing is to disable the screen saver, or choose the blank one. If you're
=> worried about screen burn out, then hit the monitor power switch.

=> Modern monitors don't suffer from screen burn anymore. I just leave mine on all
=> night :)

Another problem with disabling screen savers and just turning off the monitor
to think about. Around here, we have problems with the cleaning crew (granted
all they wanna do is play games, but...). I have my machine set to blank
screen saver with a password (and a BIOS password in case someone gets smart).
Dosen't pull much on the CPU (polling for activity), but it still pulls. A
necessary evil I suppose.

Just something to think about before disabling screen savers altogether.

Tip: Don't use a standard Win3.1 screen saver on a Win95 box if you want to
     use the password capability... Easily bypassed with a CTRL-ALT-DEL.

Until soon...
Ed Wensell III
Systems and Operations Support, Pellissippi State
http://www.pstcc.cc.tn.us/departments/sos

      Solway Road = 40MPH  |  Pellissippi Parkway through Solway = 45MPH
         I-40/I-75 from Campbell Station to Strawberry Plains = 55MPH
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net