[RC5] Block reassigment

Alexey Guzeev aga at permonline.ru
Wed Mar 18 02:50:39 EST 1998

On Mon, 16 Mar 1998 19:55:22 -0500, Justin Cave wrote:

>If a block isn't returned, it will be reassigned after all the blocks
>in the current 56-bit keyspace are assigned.

  Are you know this exactly, or just suppose it will work so?

  This behavior isn't funny, since for example I've got set of machines working on RC5
those I see only one or two times per month (or even one time per two months), and I
know other peoples with the same situation. After finishing current ("second") 56-bit
keyspace distributed.net should finish _at least one_ more ("third"), and only then
reassign skipped blocks at "second" keyspace (then finish "forth", and reassign at
"third", and may be at "second" again - if it still isn't completed)

  Other ways leads to have mass work duplication not only once at end of full keyspace
(which can be not reached), but up to 256 times during contest.

  And, I hope it will be official warning here or at "news" www page one or two weeks
_before_ any keysubspace reassigning, not when reassigment already started.

Alexey                                            [Team OS/2]
AKA 2:5054/16 at fidonet

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net