[RC5] Speed.

Christopher Hodson (Consultant) cmh at fpk.hp.com
Tue Mar 17 17:12:09 EST 1998

V. Alex Brennen wrote:

> No.  FLOPS =  Floating Point Operations Per Second.  The bovine RC5
> clients don't use floating point.  You could translate it to MIPS
> (MIPS = Million Instructions Per Second).  But the RC5 code is so
> specialized that's it's really a worthless benchmark for anything
> other than RSA Challenge RC5.  But if you find it interesting to
> express key rate in a unit other than keys, I think it's about 10
> instructions per key (when it's applied to very large numbers of
> keys).

One of the biggest problems with RC5 is that it takes a different number
of instructions on different hardware.  Because of ROTL on x86/PPC, they
are much faster.  Even though an Alpha or PA-RISC machine does many more
MIPS, there are more instructions to do.
--
Christopher M. Hodson
System Admin (Consultant)
cmh at fpk.hp.com