The Lottery Debate (was: [RC5] Lotteries are a bad idea.)

Chris Eaton tridus at inforamp.net
Tue Mar 17 17:38:15 EST 1998

At 10:00 AM 17/03/98 , you wrote:
>As I said, I did not want to do this, but I remember the "Reply-To"
>fiasco, and felt that the "keep the status quo" crowd needed a low
>bandwidth way to communicate their views, therefore the "blank
>message vote" idea.  Because the messages should have no body, they
>should not have much effect on the list.

Except that people who subscribe to the list have to download them. As well,
the pro lottery people could start doing the same thing, which would render
the
list basically useless.

>OK, sounds reasonable.

Woohoo! :-) Then I suppose for anyone whose willing to send out their
opinions,
I'll keep track (I got one already). Of course Nugget did mention in a msg
that
it wasn't gonna happen, so maybe its not really a very valuable exercise. But
hey, I'm curious as to what the support would be.

>>But what would the question look like, maybe something like this:
>
>I think that your questions are too specific.  I would rather a
>general one of the sort:
>
>"Should DCTI engage in any sort of gambling operation where
>contributers make a donation of funds or other real goods in the
>hopes of winning simular funds or real goods?"

The only problem with a general question like that is someone may answer with
"it depends", which then makes it increadibly difficult to come up with a set
of results. So I'd have to say that for the purposes of this, we'll go with
the
questions I proposed before. Of course people don't have to answer all of
them,
but it helps to get a more specific view of what opinion is out there then a
general question. (hope you don't mind horribly... :-) ). And in case you
missed it, you can simply email me with your responses. The questions were:

1. "Do you think it is a good idea for Distributed.Net to ask for
contributions
from its users in order to have a larger prize for the eveuntal winner of
Rc5-64?"

2. "If such contributions were required to participate, would you participate
in Rc5-64?"

3. "If such contributions were optional, but required to have a chance at
winning the larger prize, would you pay a contribution of $1 US?" ($1.41
Canadian, 128 Yen, you get the idea..),

4. "Do you think that a larger prize for the winner would boost membership in
Distributed.Net contests?"
--
"In the end, I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is
the one in which we throw away the map. In jettisoning the grinds and

- Loreena McKennitt: The Book Of Secrets

Chris

http://home.inforamp.net/~tridus
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net