[RC5] Linux-ish question (was: PII-233...)

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Tue Mar 17 17:19:23 EST 1998

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998, Sean Matheis wrote:
> Linux-ish question: Is any version of linux "better" (ie. faster)
> for running rc5?  I've got a p-90 sitting around w/ win95 on
> it, doing nothing.  In my never-ending quest for learning more and
> more about unix, I'm debating throwing linux on it as well.
> Since this machine will do nothing but sit and churn numbers,
> I might as well optimize it as much as I can.
> (send opinions to me if you want to spare the list from IMHOs...)

If ALL you want to do with this machine is crunch keys, then the dos
client is your best bet, most likely (=I have no hard numbers on this).
With the DOS client, all the computer is doing is crunching keys: no
daemons or UI to get in the way <G>.  OTOH, if you want to learn Linux, no
version (either kernel version, or distribution, which is what you
probably ment) is pituclarly better then any other.

	-=- James Mastros

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net