One dollar (was [RC5] What If?)

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue Mar 17 18:45:10 EST 1998

     Well, one *could* say "quid", which in the deep recesses of history
     menat (roughly) one standard unit of the local currency.
     Unfortunately  :), the inhabitants of the British Isles during the
     Roman occupation picked up this usage and haven't dropped it.  Thus,
     in modern (English) usage, a quid appears to be a British Pound.  Of
     course, the etymology of the word would indicate broader
     applicability, it doesn't appear to be so.

     And, as far as it goes, US$1 is a particular amount of money (thank
     the Phoenicians for that one).  Regardless of the fact that you
     personally may not use that unit, international trade has a way of
     allowing different currencies to be compared with some precision at
     a given instant (except for countries with such small monetary bases
     that the printing of their mints obviously devalues their currency
     (I always thought of Andorra when thinking this, but it's probably
     not valid in this case... (Anyway))).  Thus, unless there are
     significant barriers in trade between any country, state, holding,
     protectorate, or whatnot and the United States, its states,
     holdings, or protectorates, this amount of currency is convertible
     to another amount of currency more local to you.

     I, an American, could just as easily talk about everyone submitting
     2000 Italian Lira.  This would not indicate that I have a
     particularly Italian bias, merely that I chose that monetary system
     in which to designate a certain amount of currency.  Similarly, I
     could use metric or "English" measurements.  In metric, I could use
     MKS or CGS.  None of these would predicate a particular bias,
     *unless* the choice of measurement system resultsed in greater
     representational or computational difficulty.

     If we are talking about an amount of currency that is equivalent to
     US$1, then I find no reason to use some other measurement system to
     represent that rather compact and directly understandable amount.
            -- Eric Gindrup ! gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
                CIS delenda est!