[RC5] What happens if I have to cancel?

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Wed Mar 18 11:22:07 EST 1998

On Wed, 18 Mar 1998, John C. Gale wrote:

> I added my PC to the effort yesterday and after accepting the defaults,
> it was done in a few minutes.  So, I bumped up the numbers and it has
> been running ever since.  Can I break out of this and pick up where I
> left off?
>
> I'm running linux (on a machine where I dual boot) and I need to switch
> operating systems.  Also, I could use some pointers on what is a good
> number to put in the configuration.  I'd like to donate my CPU time, but
> I need to be able to switch operating systems on demand with say 5
> minutes notice.

	No problem... the shutdown process most Linux distributions go
through when you give them the three-finger salute will signal RC5 to die
neatly, saving its progress. If you want to kill it off for some other
reason, a simple kill -1 of the PID of the main thread will shut it down
with no trouble.

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done.

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net