[RC5] Prize stuff

Brice D. Fleckenstein ciga at surf-ici.com
Tue Mar 17 10:08:25 EST 1998

> 1. "Do you think it is a good idea for Distributed.Net to ask for
> contributions
> from its users in order to have a larger prize for the eveuntal winner of
> Rc5-64?"

 Not really. It's unfair to those that would contribute. But if they
WANT to do it, that's their choice.

> 2. "If such contributions were required to participate, would you participate
> in Rc5-64?"

 NO. As previously stated, I can NOT afford to pay MONEY to participate
in distributed.net - and I know a FEW other student participants that
would answer the same from the team I am a member of.
 There are also the currency exchange cost/access problems mentioned by
others of non-American participants, we have SEVERAL Brits and at least
one Australian on our team (our team COORDINATOR is British).

 My guess is that you would lose a LARGE majority of all current and
potential RC5 participants with this idea.

> 3. "If such contributions were optional, but required to have a chance at
> winning the larger prize, would you pay a contribution of $1 US?" ($1.41
> Canadian, 128 Yen, you get the idea..),

 NO. See above.

 > 4. "Do you think that a larger prize for the winner would boost
membership in
> Distributed.Net contests?"

 It would have to be a MUCH larger prize to have a significant effect.

--

 Reply-to has been de-spammed. Real email address below.

 Brice D. Fleckenstein
 EMail: bricef at indy dot net

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net