[RC5] question/comment

Alexey Guzeev aga at permonline.ru
Thu Mar 19 02:04:38 EST 1998

On Tue, 17 Mar 1998 16:41:29 -0800 (PST), Linux Fan wrote:

>> So, you definitelly have some process wich consumes all time at
>priority higher than
>> "very nice" (i.e., Idle:0 aka 1:0). Run
>WatchCat/ProcessCommander/TOP/CPUMeter or
>> any of the numerous available tools to determine which process isn't
>modest enough
>> ;-)

>The easy way out for now is to set the priority of the GUI client a
>little higher and leave the system alone.
  May be, but sometimes it's impossible - for example, I am running mailer (The
Brake!(tm) mailer ;-) ) 24 hours 7 days a week (it's some sort of BBS software, but it is
NOT a BSS in common mean). It rescans his outbound from time to time at priority
lower than normal, as configured - since I've got a HUGE outbound (1.5G). So If I'll try
to raise priority of distributed.net client - my mailer would never rescan outbound any
more.
  The other example: Lotus Smart Suite performs some work at idle priority; you can
suspend it execution if you are running distributed.net client at too high priority.

> and since I
>didn't start any processes, there must be one it wants to run.
  OS/2 don't have process which require whole CPU - beleive me, I've installed over
50 OS/2 copies - different versions, very different hardware, different network support,
different applications... The only exceptions is 'Pulse' and 'CPU monitor' at
WarpCenter - theese CPU meters definitely should be disabled - and too aggressive
DOS task - you should tune VDM settings. Any other standard components definitely
DO NOT REQUIRE all CPU time.

>> That's the blue progress indicator is for. At your P133 it is
>>increased every 30-35
>> seconds (yes, you guess it right ;-) ) when system
>>is unused, if you are using 2^28 block size.
>?  The only progress indicator I see is the dots at the bottom of the
>window with the percentages, and it doesn't move nearly that fast.
If you are using default 2^30 block size, then progress indicator of course will be
updated ~ ones per two minutes. If you have any other _one_ all-time-active task at the
same priority as distributed.net client, PI will be updated ~ every 4 minutes, if you have
two - ~ every 6 minutes. And so on...

>> It doesn't worth it. I'm sure several weeks later you will minimize
>you client out of
>> desktop

>You might be surprised...  When I'm at home all day, I check on my BBS
>*often* even though I know no one has called, mainly to make sure
>everything is working OK.
I am not surprised. ;-) I like to look at my mailer (and distributed.net client :] )
sometimes too, although I had not configured, manually controlled, started/stopped it
al least half an year. But when I don't look at it, it's minimized off the desktop.

>> >Also, what\\'s the difference between the cli and gui versions
>>anyway?
>> At my expierence, they are practically same (few differences are
>>documented), except
>> of interface, of course. Ah, OS/2 PM (GUI) client is more handsome
>>than Win32 GUI. ;-)
>I'd have to agree.  I have Win95 on another machine and it's client
>isn't as neat, although it does add that little butterfly to the
>systray, which is kind of cool.
  That's NOT a problem at all ;-) Just create Program object for rc5des.exe (or maybe,
self-written rc5des.cmd) somewhere on the desktop or deeper folder, and put shadow
at WarpCenter tray (You can create up to 16 easy selectable trays to organize your
frequently accessed objects/folders, if exisiting default tray is already full).
  Or, you can leave your Program object on desktop, you wll always have access to it
with just two mouse clicks - it's accessible via menu under "OS/2 Warp" button on
WarpCenter. Or you can access it via menu under "Window List"  button on
WarpCenter.
  By default successive open of  Program object do not run second copy of program,
but pull running one on top (restore it if minimized). Additionally, you can remove
distributed.net client from Window List using freeware 'nolist' utility.

>This machine has 16MB.  There is a reason I don't run OS/2 on it:  The
>BBS started thinking the user had dropped carrier
>every time someone
>tried to downloaded a file, but things worked fine when I rebooted to
>DOS, so I just took OS/2 off the machine.
Didn't you forget to tell SIO that port is used by several programs (those does use
correct sharing, like DOS ones) at one time? There is a piece of SIOREF.TXT:
===
     Protection

     Placing a dash "-" or a plus "+" in the fourth parameter position, eg
     (COM1,3F8,IRQ4,-),  causes SIO not to provide any protection for that
     port.  The OS may still protect the port somewhat.  When the dash
     parameter is used the port is wide open (like DOS) for any process to
     access it.  If the plus is used, then DOS/Windows sessions are
     inhibited from turning DTR off.
===
This maked always port sharing problems solved when I had them. At the worst case
you'll need extremely simple _native_ program that just opens port at system startup,
and close it during shutdown (optional).

P.S. Ha! You don't need this port in OS/2 processes, do you? Then, you can simply
do not load com port driver (COM/VCOM, or SIO/VSIO), and your DOS BBS will get full
unrestricted direct access to modem port (io addrs/irq). All problems gone away ;-)

Alexey                                            [Team OS/2]
AKA 2:5054/16 at fidonet

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net