[RC5] Stupid Linux Question :o)

NP np at cableinet.co.uk
Thu Mar 19 00:38:29 EST 1998

One way to do it (probably not the smartest way but it works for me)...

Make a file, eg.   /usr/bin/launch-rc5.sh   containing this:

killall -0 rc5des || (/usr/crack/rc5des >/dev/tty2 &)

and give it sufficient permission to execute ("man chmod" if you're not sure
about that)

Edit your crontab file with "crontab -e" and enter a line like:

0,10,20,30,40,50 * * * * /usr/bin/launch-rc5.sh 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null

Every 10 minutes this will check the client is running and direct it's
progress output gumph to tty2 which you can switch to with ALT-F2  (or
CTRL-ALT-F2 if in Xwindows).

(OK, checking every 10 minutes might be a little unnecessary - I implemented
this when I had that version of Linux client which crashed sometimes when
selecting a non-Pentium core, so I used this to make sure it ran most of the
time on my non-Pentium machine [before the problem was announced]).

A few weeks ago someone posted an explanation of how to set up a user group
for the client and run it at boot up.  I guess that's a smart way to do it
but I haven't bothered with that myself).

Criticism welcome ... know why ?   It's not my handywork, I stole it from a
friend !   :-)

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net