[RC5] Subspaces question (was: Chance of "the" key being in faulty buffer)

Chris Eaton tridus at inforamp.net
Wed Mar 18 20:18:10 EST 1998

At 06:49 PM 18/03/98 , you wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Apologies for being ignorant, but could you please explain what you mean when
you
>say
>keyspace is split into "56-bit blocks".

Sure... :)
Actually, they are usually called 56-bit subspaces. What they've done is taken
the entire keyspace of 2^64 keys, and broken it into 256 2^56 keyspaces. Each
one of those is a '56-bit subspace'. What they do is hand out and complete all
of the blocks inside a subspace before moving on to another subspace, that way
the database of completed vs uncompleted blocks is smaller.

Hope that helps.
--
"In the end, I wonder if one of the most important steps on our journey is
the one in which we throw away the map. In jettisoning the grinds and

- Loreena McKennitt: The Book Of Secrets

Chris

http://home.inforamp.net/~tridus
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net