[RC5] Speed.

Justin Chant JChant at creo.com
Fri Mar 20 00:32:11 EST 1998

For a certain class of problems FLOP is a good measure of performance.
This class of problems (floating point intensive) includes the type of
problems that the super computer was designed for.  If you are designing
a super computer or DSP FLOPs is everything.  If you are designing a
desktop PC then you should look to a different benchmark (SpecInt
maybe).

As for the original inquiry I think that there have been references made
in the past to the equivalent computing power of dnet.  (I think the
number was something on the *order* of 30,000 PIIs)

Justin Chant

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net