[RC5] RE: Chance of "the" key being in faulty buffer

Timothy Graham ttgraham at bigfoot.com
Fri Mar 20 21:49:04 EST 1998

    As I understand it, the keyserver encrypts the plaintext with
a random key
from each block then issues it to your client.  When the client
is working it
identifies all keys that return the correct plaintext for either
RSA's ciphertext
or Bovine's ciphertext.  So, each block that gets reported back
to the keyserver
shows a minimum of one match.  More if there are false positives
(the clients
only check the first 8 characters of the message) or if the real
key is found.
Therefore, that part of the client that reports the correct key
isn't really
executed that infrequently.

>Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 19:18:48 +0100
>From: Peter Stuer <peter at dinf.vub.ac.be>
>
>It seems to me the chance of a faulty buffer containing the key
is higher
>than average as finding a possible key does result in the
execution of a

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net