[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #176

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Sat Mar 21 12:07:34 EST 1998

Brice D. Fleckenstein (ciga at surf-ici.com) wrote:

> > Would it be possible to port the client to an Atari 8-bit?

> Main limitation is lack of RAM, forcing a
> LOT of I/O.

Actually, I think the main limitation is the registers.  A 6502 (as
found in the Atari 800, among others) has an (A)ccumulator and two index
registers (X, Y).  All three are 8-bit registers if I'm not mistaken.
The RC5 algorithm requires bit-rotation and addition of 32-bit values,
which would require a lot of overhead moving these 8-bit values in and
out of registers.  A fully-loaded Atari 800 has 48K of RAM, which should
be enough for the RC5 core and some basic floppy diskette code, I think.
Most of the options would have to be omitted, and I've never seen TCP/IP
for the Atari 800, so it'd be sneakernet-based like the DOS client is.

IMHO, not worthwhile, but I would be curious to see the keyrate if
someone manages to get a running core.

--
"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge at kellnet.com
"Don't stare, son; it's not polite."   |   http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net