[RC5] Porting to Atari?

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Sat Mar 21 15:20:53 EST 1998

On Sat, 21 Mar 1998 12:12:07 -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
>Heh, dream on!  My 386 takes just under 12 hours to do a 28-bit block.
>I recall that someone on the #rc5 channel (which is now #distributed)
>had a Mac Plus (68000-based machine) that took about 3 days for a 28-bit
>block.  The Atari ST is slightly faster than the Mac Plus, so you should
>be able to crank out 28-bit blocks a little faster than the Mac Plus.
>The Atari 8-bit will probably need a couple weeks per 28-bit block,
>at least.
>
>"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge

I was bored last night, so I calculated it... assuming Alde's speed page is correct, and assuming a 6502 is ONLY 4x
slower than a 386sx, a 6502 running at 1mhz would do 91 keys/second, and complete a block in a few days over a
month.  Needless to say, that's somewhat useless. :)

While porting to other platforms is something we'd like to do (some of those windows CE machines might have nice
processors, I believe a client is in the works), and even something as strange as porting to a game system could be
considered (is anyone good at programming a sony playstation?), porting to 8 and even 16 bit processors is something no
longer worth the effort.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net