[RC5] Porting to Atari? (and other systems)

Greg Hewgill gregh at lightspeed.net
Sat Mar 21 22:38:10 EST 1998

From: Gandalf
>A PalmPilot port WOULD be an extremly good idea, have the blocks
>transferred on HotSync, have the pilot process them while people are
>staring at their task lists, etc.

A client for the PalmPilot would just *decimate* the batteries. The
PalmPilot is designed so the CPU is in a "sleeping" state nearly all the
time. In fact, one of the few differences between the "on" and "off" state
is that the LCD display is visible. Even when you're staring at your task
list, the CPU is in a very low power sleep mode.

Running the RC5 client would cause the CPU to never sleep, which will draw
much more power from the batteries than normal use. Besides, it isn't very
easy to set up a "background" task using PalmOS.

>Anybody out there know about the details of the PalmPilot's processor?

I know a bit about it. :-) The DragonBall has a 68000 core and runs at 16
MHz in the PalmPilot. The memory bandwidth is very low because the data bus
is effectively only 8 bits wide. A PalmPilot client would probably not be
anywhere near as fast as, say, a 68K Mac running at 16 MHz.

Greg
http://www.hewgill.com
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net