[RC5] dates in e-mail notifictation from clients

waldo kitty wkitty42 at alltel.net
Mon Mar 23 23:21:56 EST 1998

Lord Somnolent wrote:

> R. Kelley Cook wrote:
> >
> > I have a question, why do the dates for the email use the first date in
> > the log was created for the date of the email?  It seems that according
> > to RFC-822 it should be using the date/time the message was created.
> >
> > This is especially frustrating for those of us that have multiple
> > computers running RC5 processes in the background and have them email
> > us the stats every 10000 log lines or so.  It really screws up the
> > sorting on my inbox, when I receive a message dated from three days
> > ago.

yeah, this threw me off when i first saw it... i just blew it off
then... now i know ;-)

> I too consider this a problem. As far as I know, the clinet doesn't even
> need to bother with a Date: field after all, it will get added at the
> SMTP server, which usually has the more accurate clock..

unless you are a timezone or more away from said SMTP server... this is
the case with my ISP... they are a phone company based in Arkansas but i
live in North Carolina... at least one hour difference... besides, all
my machines are synced with my main one which is synced with the atomic
clock... i know their machine(s) aren't... now, who is the more
accurate? <<G>>

now to get them to (re)fix my email headers... my name isn't "x x" ...
it should be whatever i configure my email agent to use... <cuss swear
mumble mumble>

--
         __..--''``\--...__  _..,_         Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place
USA
     _.-'    .-/";  `      `<._  ``-+'~=.  mailto:wkitty42 at alltel.net
 _.-' _..--.'_    \                 `(^) ) ftp://ftp.wplace.dyn.ml.org
((,,-'    (< _     ;_.._             ; `'  http://www.wplace.dyn.ml.org
telnet://bbs.wplace.dyn.ml.org
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net