[RC5] Linux ....

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Tue Mar 24 06:10:36 EST 1998

'Tomasz Glowacki' said previously:

| Anyone on that list have tried or is trying rc5 client on linux Screen ????

I've been running the Linux client for awhile now.  So have many, many
other people on this list.  :-)  Also represented are *BSDers, AIXers,
and a number of other *nix'ers.  (Heck, I also use the Solaris client!)

We'll get you set up.  :^)

| I tried it on P200Pro machine , heavily used sometimes , and my client near
| *always*
| get killed after 30% or 70% (more times 70%) block done.

Could you tell us a little bit more about how you're set up?  For instance:

-- Version of the RC5 client.  This is important, since there are some
   versions which aren't as stable.  (Some of the mid 2.700x rc5des clients
   had problems switching over from DES to RC5.)

-- Which CPU core was selected.  It may be a subtle interaction problem.
   Who knows?  When you're trying to chase a strange crashing problem, it's
   always good to have the relevant facts.

-- How you are running the client.  (eg.  "In its own directory from my
   user account."  "As root from /etc/rc.d/rc.local from /usr/rc5."
   "From /etc/inittab as its own user-id."  etc.)

-- Anything else that might be important, including log file snippets if
   you have any.  (Try to keep the log file snippets germane and concise.
   This list goes to many, many people.)

| Why is it happening ? Or maybe I have to set special command line params ?

Typically, commandline parameters aren't necessary for most
configurations since the ini file is pretty comprehensive.  The command
line is useful primarily for trying out options, or in settings where
it is simply easier to specify a command line than it is to set up an
INI file.

| (I just have started to interesting in Linux , because that system rocks !)

Linux is pretty cool.  It has a pretty steep learning curve associated
with it, but it can be worth it.  As someone once joked:  "*nix is user
friendly.  It's just picky who its friends are."

Regards,

--Joe

--
 +----------- Joseph Zbiciak ----------+