[RC5] Optimizing client

Ed Wensell III aka THE StormRaiser EWENSELL at pstcc.cc.tn.us
Thu Mar 26 23:27:34 EST 1998

=> Also, is there a way I can set the client up to automagically change it's
=> CPU setting at certain times?  For example, I want it to be 0 (Nice) during
=> the day, but after I leave I want it to go to 2 (Normal).  Additionally,
=> can I tell the client to hog the CPU (for when I'm not here)?

Hmmm... Don't know about the rest (optimizations for the OS. I don't think
there is much that can be done short of closing out every process on the
machine), but the last part would sound like a good situation for running the
CLI client called from a batch job. The CLI can be set to run for X amount of
time and then quit out.

My idea would be to have several INI files (each with the different run
states) which the batch file would copy into place before restarting the
client. Only downside is it wouldn't be very hidden (hmmmm.. Sounds like an
even better reason to use the CLI client in conjunction with AT on a WinNT
box. There's a way to "turn on" AT in Win95, but it's buried in an unofficial
MS book somewhere).

While we're on the subject of clients, has anyone else noticed that the
2.7013.396 WinNT GUI client dosen't save the "Connection" setting (or is this
something fixed in a more recent client)? The entry for it seems to be missing
from the INI file (unless I'm overlooking it). I first ran into it when
installing the client on some laptops which are ALMOST always in use, but
aren't always connected to the network (really like the "does an update when
it gets a connection" feature).

Until soon...
Ed Wensell III
Systems and Operations Support, Pellissippi State
http://www.pstcc.cc.tn.us/departments/sos

      Solway Road = 40MPH  |  Pellissippi Parkway through Solway = 45MPH
         I-40/I-75 from Campbell Station to Strawberry Plains = 55MPH
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net