[RC5] Flaky windows...

Mike Faunce mfaunce at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 27 10:43:44 EST 1998

This may sound like a stupid question, but why do we need to have "live" queries into a static database anyway?  The data only changes once a day, (read: it's static), so why do we need dynamic pages for static information?  The stats are only updated daily, so what not just produce flat HTML files each night?

When I look at my personal stats, the little 5 line chart at the bottom showing my 2 above and 2 below competitors is much more useful than the table at the top.  (Knowing that I've done like .000000001% of the key space doesn't really tell me much).  I'd love to see the 10 people above and below, or more.

The Top 100 user and team tables contain all of the useful information and could be expanded pretty easily (maybe add a blocks yesterday column?)  Put 500 or 1000 entries on a page (80 characters a line x 1000 lines is roughly 80K + 5K for headers per page, not bad) and put links between the pages (even with 30,000 entrants, that's only 30 or 60 pages).  In this manner, SQL is only needed during the nightly processing, not during the day to produce the individual stat pages.

What am I missing?

-----
Mike Faunce
mfaunce at earthlink.net