[RC5] Linux ....

James Mastros root at jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org
Fri Mar 27 17:27:47 EST 1998

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998, Tomasz Glowacki wrote:
> >-- How you are running the client.  (eg.  "In its own directory from my
> >   user account."  "As root from /etc/rc.d/rc.local from /usr/rc5."
> >   "From /etc/inittab as its own user-id."  etc.)
> I'm running it on my user account , on screen.
>
> I tried to set -quiet parameter and & but it just gets killed . But it is
> strange because if i left it on the screen but i will not logout (terminal
> will be on) it works fine and it doesn't go killed . Weird.
> I tried mt and non-mt versions of the client and nothing. If i'm lucky it will
> not get killed but it is doing nothing. Freezes for hours.

Hmm... you are just running it like "rc5des" from the bash command-line?
If so, then how do you logout?  You probably want to be running "rc5des
&", then when you logout it shouldn't be killed -- but it might be anyway.
Run "nohup rc5des &", just to be on the safe side.  (Explanation, for
those inclined: on exit, the shell normaly sends a "hup" (for hangup)
signal to some of the processes that it spawned (I'm unclear on the
alogrithim that it uses to decide which).)

	-=- James Mastros
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net