[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #177

John Campbell jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com
Fri Mar 27 18:08:50 EST 1998

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Paul Turpie wrote:

> > From: John Campbell <jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com>
> >
> > On Fri, 20 Mar 1998, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> >
> > > Well, AFAIK, all the zero-length blocks were culled from the logs, but they
> > > might have still made it to the stats. It doesn't really matter at this point
> > > since we won though... :)
> > >
> >         These were *RC5* blocks, not DES blocks. At least I assume they
> > were. They came from a single-core RC5-64 client and are showing up on the
> > RC5 stats.
> >         Unless you're saying someone got real lucky since I checked the
> > stats this afternoon....
> >

> But did you flush you're RC5 buffers before beginning on DESII, if I remember correctly
> the graphs at  Dave's Place show a spike in RC5 at the start of DESII as everybody
> flushed all their old blocks.

	I average between 200 and 300 blocks a day now, and that's with the
four extra machines I brought online during DES. I run small buffers because
all of my machines are connected to the net full-time. There's no *way* I
could have had 10,000 blocks in my buffers. Besides, I don't think I flushed
before DES, I just left the incomplete buffers there and finished them after
DES was over.
	At any rate, I've got several hundred k of logs of the Novell server
going, "Retrieved block. Block finished (0:01 seconds) [0.0 keys/sec] Block
sent. Retrieved block...."

---
John Campbell
jcampbel at lynn.ci-n.com

QotD:  That that is is not that that is not.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net