[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #179

Mike Silbersack silby at execpc.com
Sat Mar 28 04:12:04 EST 1998

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998 21:17:47 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:

>Brice D. Fleckenstein wrote:
>
>>  The BIG difference is to *NOT* set nice=0 - that WILL cause the client
>> to gradually lose CPU priority and slow WAY down. nice=2 works, and
>> doesn't noticeably slow the machine down for other usage.
>>

>Uh... do you happen to have any proof of this? It sounds pretty bizare. I just
>reset my client to nice=2 to test it.
>
>BTW, please note that the niceness will make a big difference in the keyrate
>while you're using your machine.
>
>Mooo!
>dB!

Here's the situation:  When a system is idle (win32, unix, or any other preemptive system), the client set at nice=0 (which
will equal the maximum amount of niceness possible) WILL get all processor time IF the system is idle.  If, for whatever
reason, you are set at nice=0 and losing speed, this is because some other program is running on your system, such as
netscape/findfast/etc.  The real solution is not to set nice=2. but rather to find the other program and kill it (nicely, of
course.)

I would not recommend that ANYONE use nice=2, as it will cause noticeable slowdown in some applications.  After all,
we're out to prove how much we can do with idle cycles; the primary purpose of your computer is still to run the
foreground applications you use as fast as possible.

Mike "Silby" Silbersack
silby at execpc.com
Distributed.Net Tech Support

We cracked RC5-56.  We cracked DES.  Can you help us with RC5-64?
Put your idle CPU to work:  Add it to the world's LARGEST computer.
http://www.distributed.net/

To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net