[RC5] New Clients

Greg Wooledge wooledge at kellnet.com
Sat Mar 28 11:16:28 EST 1998

Ralph Giles (Ralph_Giles at sfu.ca) wrote:

> I'm having exactly the same problem connecting to us.v27.distributed.net --
> the US distributed.proxy round-robin. I upgraded yesterday, and the new
> client finished processing my inbuf, but then started complaining about
> being unable to resolve the hostname and running random blocks.

Well, putting these two messages together, especially in light of the fact
that I'm running the rc5des400 Linux client without any problems on my
glibc2-based Linux system, it sounds like you have a libc5-based system.

All the Linux RC5/DES clients are statically linked (i.e., they don't
dynamically link libc or any other shared libraries), but there is a
difference between a glibc2 name resolver and a libc5 name resolver.
Glibc2, like Solaris, uses /etc/nsswitch.conf to determine the order in
which name services should be consulted.  Without an /etc/nsswitch.conf
file your client is probably reading /etc/hosts but not consulting DNS.

If you want to run the new client, you should try putting
/etc/nsswitch.conf on your system.  Here's a copy of mine, which is
from Debian 2.0 (package base-files_1.8):

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# Information about this file is available in the `libc6-doc' package.

passwd:         db files
group:          db files
shadow:         db files

hosts:          files dns
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       db files

"Daddy, why do those people have to    |   Greg Wooledge
  use Microsoft Windows?"              |   wooledge at kellnet.com
"Don't stare, son; it's not polite."   |   http://www.kellnet.com/wooledge/
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net