[RC5] Linux ....

Joe Zbiciak j-zbiciak1 at ti.com
Mon Mar 30 18:53:31 EST 1998

'gindrup at okway.okstate.edu' said previously:

|      nohup disassociates the proc from the shell by making it the lead
|      process in its own job/process group.  Screen is supposed to do
|      something similar, but I think it overrides its own signal handlers
|      to pass signals it receives to all of the non-detached screens it
|      owns.  (The internals of screen are unknown to me, but this is
|      equivalent to observed experimental behaviour.)

SIGHUP isn't passed along.  I used screen religiously during school since
my connection to the Suns was flaky at best and transient (I may need to
leave and come back).  If I got knocked off the modem or my PC crashed,
I would not lose my session, even though my login shell went through the
hangup process.  The screens would merely detach, and all would be well.

Screen does pass along SIGWINCH, though, which is nice when going between
different size ttys or when running screen in an xterm.

The upshot of this is that running RC5 inside screen should provide
acceptible insulation from HUP signals while also allowing you to attach
and watch the output scroll by if you feel the need.

Regards,

--Joe

--
 +----------- Joseph Zbiciak ----------+