[RC5] Re: rc5-digest V1 #185

Liotier liotier at for-president.com
Sat May 9 11:04:07 EDT 1998

rc5-digest wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, waldo kitty wrote:
> problem:  This machine has an kill-client installed. This thing looks every
> hour at the process-table and kills every process, which is longer than
> half an hour in the CPU. Cause I'm running an 4-thread client in real time
> this is for me 7.5 min. I have a script, which turns down the client and
> up 90 sec. later. This script is started every hour (crontab) shortly before
> the killer comes. It works very fine. If I would use the function of time
> limiting of the client I'm afraid I would get trouble, cause the old client
> stops at the same time, when the new client is turned up -- that's why the
> delay of 90 sec.

I have the same type of problem on a Irix system : it kills every task
that
totals more than 30mn of CPU time. The problem is that my account has
crontab
disabled. Solution : a checkpoint file and a short script going as
follow...
"while true do rc5des done"
Simple infinite loop that eats virtually no CPU time and relaunch the
task
each time it is killed.
To unsubscribe, send 'unsubscribe rc5' to majordomo at lists.distributed.net