[RC5] Rack stuffed full of motherboards (follow-u

gindrup at okway.okstate.edu gindrup at okway.okstate.edu
Tue May 5 09:42:31 EDT 1998

     Only one problem with PS/2 memory.  It's not pin compatible with
     normal SIMMs.  I have a drawer full of them.  They aren't even
     interchangeable between PS/2s.

     I've received a couple of personal e-Mails from people with spare
     30-pin SIMMs lying around.  If we can find a place that sells P5
     mobos that accept 30-pin SIMMs, then this solution is in business.
     I would expect such mobos to be dirt cheap since they're from the
     486 -> P5 migration period.  Since there are a lot of volunteers in
     the RAM department and since the person who started this thread was
     expecting to raid a number of '386s for components, I suspect that
     this may be the cheapest way to start the rack-mounted monster.

     Oh, BTW, Price Watch indicates that AMD said as recently as a couple
     of weeks ago that you could get K5-166s from AMD.  Hmm...  Since I
     recall (oh dear) that this chip is '486 pin-compatible, the only
     problem is finding '486 mobos that accept 30-pin SIMMs and *that's*
     not so improbable.